Tofu Recipes | Korean Fluffy Braised Tofu in 10 minutes (맛있는 두부반찬)
I love easy tofu recipes. Tofu recipes are usually quick to make and they are a great source of vegetable proteins. Korean braised tofu dish might sound humble, but when you try it, you’ll know the power of this simple, delicious dish. 10 minutes of your efforts will turn into a nourishing meal.
Tofu was a common ingredient my mother used to feed the family. When I was growing up in Korea, my mom used to send me with a bowl to a corner store to buy daily made fresh tofu, in order to make dinner for the family. My signature move was to pinch a little corner of the tofu to nibble on because it was so tasty.
Simply, I just couldn’t resist. Then one bite led to another…By the time I got home, the corners of tofu looked a little sad. Understandably, my mom wasn’t really happy about that. She scolded me first ,and then she ended up chuckling.
So try this everyday food of Korea and let me know what you think.
Eat Real, Be Real
Prep 10 minutes Active 10 minutes
1 large onion
1 package, medium firm tofu.
3 TBSP soy sauce
*Make sure to check the ingredients when you purchase soy sauce. There are soy sauces being sold that actually do not contain any soy. For more information, check “Shocking Facts about Soy Sauce“.
1 TBSP sugar
4 TBSP sake
1 TBSP gochugaru (Adjust this amount to your preferred spicy level. This will make medium hot)
freshly ground pepper
- Cut the onion into 1/4-inch wheels.
- Cut the tofu in half lengthwise, and cut it into 0.5 inch thick pieces.
- Place the onion wheels on the bottom of the pan and then place the tofu squares on top of them as a layer.
- Combine all the Sauce ingredients into a small mixing bowl. Bring this all together.
- Pour this sauce over the tofu and onion
- Turn the flame on high and cook this with the lid on until it comes to a rolling boil, about 3 minutes.
- While we’re cooking, we’ll take care to baste some sauce back over the top of our tofu to make sure they stay moist and soak up all the flavors.
- Once it comes to a rolling boil, turn the heat down to medium high. Cook this for another 5 minutes with a lid on
- Baste some sauce back over the top one more time in-between.
- Then, take the lid off and bring the heat up high. Cook this for an additional 2 minutes. *This will help the sauce to thicken and concentrate the flavors.
- Finish this with some freshly chopped garlic chive and a little sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy.